THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
IU geologists identify new seismic zone near Illinois-Missouri border
From the IU Newsroom: Geologists at Indiana University have characterized widespread seismic activity in an area they call the Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone, suggesting a greater possibility of earthquake effects than was previously recognized in southwestern Illinois and eastern Missouri. more
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
- Holiday Party The annual Holiday Party will be held in the banquet hall at Upland Brewery on Thursday, December 11 beginning at 6:00 p.m., with dinner at 7:00. Contact Carley Gasaway (email) for tickets and information.
- Geosciences in Public Service The IU Geosciences chapter of AAPG and the Indiana Geological Survey hosted a career panel on November 19th. The event included a dinner/networking portion, followed by a traditional panel-style introduction of six panelists. There was a speed-round-table style portion where panelists rotated from table to table in 5 minute intervals and answered questions from student participants. more
Research Focus Sites
- OIINK Seismic Research Experiment
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Applications: the deadline for international applications is December 1, 2014. The deadline for domestic applications is January 15, 2015.
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Spring 2015 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- December 1: Terry Pavlis, University of Texas at El Paso. Title: Tectonics in Extreme Environments: Interactions between erosion and tectonics in the southern Alaska orogen.
4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
- Colloquium Schedule
Events and Calendar
- 2014-15 Department Directory
- Travel Forms
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- BSES Program
- Geological Sciences Library
- Indiana Geological Survey
- Hoosier Geologic Record