- Prospective Graduate Students |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Grad Student 2016-2017 Handbook and Forms
- Prospective Undergraduate Students |
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Kathy Davis Undergraduate Advisor
- Spring 2017 Courses in Geological Sciences
- 2016-17 Department Directory | (PDF)
- 2016-17 Hoosier Geologic Record | PDF
- BSES Program
- Indiana Geological Survey
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- Geological Sciences Library Resources
News and Announcements
Merging paleobiology with conservation biology to guide the future of terrestrial ecosystems.
Quoting the IU Newsroom: Scientists and policymakers should draw on experience from the distant past to develop a new paradigm for protecting ecosystems at a time of accelerating global change, an Indiana University paleontologist and co-authors write in a paper published February 10. The article in the journal Science calls for merging conservation biology with evidence from paleobiology -- the study of the fossil record of the history of life -- and the Earth sciences. P. David Polly, professor of geological sciences in the IU Bloomington College of Arts and Sciences, is one of the authors.Read more
IUGFS Short Course in EOS
"Using TLS and Structure from Motion (SfM) Photogrammetry in Undergraduate Field Education." With funding from a supplement to the GAGE Facility (EAR-1261833) and the Improving Undergraduate STEM Education collaborative project to UNAVCO, Indiana University, and Idaho State University (EHR-1612248), this short course focused on terrestrial laser scanning (TLS) and structure from motion (SfM) photogrammetry. The publication in EOS explains both the goals of the course and presents some compelling 3-D imagery in an animation. Explore this story.
Events and Outreach
- February 27: Patrick McLaughlin, Indiana Geological Survey Title: Frontiers in chemostratigraphy: transformative framework for Earth systems science
- 4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby.
There is a new blog about the research going on in the College of Arts and Sciences at IU. GeoSci graduate student Anna Nowicki Jesse is a member of the editorial board and a writer for the blog.