Recent Publications (2008 - present)
- Almandine garnet phenocrysts in a ~1 Ga rhyolitic tuff from central India by Sarbani Patranabis-Deb, Juergen Schieber and Abhijit Basu: Geological Magazine, v. 146, pp. 133-143, (2009)
- A working hypothesis on the Mesoproterozoic ages in India and its impact on some global concepts by Abhijit Basu: Journal of Applied Geochemistry, v. 11, pp. 43-57 (2009)
- Antiquity of Ediacaran fossils, early shelled organisms, recent radiometric age-dates from India and ancestral biota by Abhijit Basu. LPSC XXXIX, Abstract # 1840 (CD-ROM) (2008)
- The Proterozoic puzzle of peninsular India by Abhijit Basu: Journal of Applied Geochemistry, v. 10, no. 2, pp. 201-202, (2008); also by invitation in Journal of the Geological Society of India, v. 71, no. 5, pp. 752-753 (2008)
- Extending Darwin with Ediacaran and small shelly fossils (?) in >1000 Ma rocks from peninsular India by Abhijit Basu: Geol. Soc. Am., Abstr. Prog., v. 40, Paper 125-2 in CD-ROM (2008)
- SHRIMP ages of zircon in the uppermost tuff in Chattisgarh Basin in central India require ~500Ma adjustment in Indian Proterozoic stratigraphy by Sarbani Patranabis Deb, M. E. Bickford, Barbara Hill, Asru K. Chaudhuri and Abhijit Basu: Journal of Geology, v. 115, pp. 407–415 (2008)
- Stratigraphic position of the ~1000 Ma Sukhda Tuff (Chhattisgarh Supergroup, India) and the 500 Ma question by Abhijit Basu, Sarbani Patranabis-Deb, Juergen Schieber, and Pratap C. Dhang: Precambrian Research, v. 167, pp. 383-388. (2008)
- Mihaela Glamoclija and Abhijit Basu, 2008 Comparative geology of Earth, Mars, and Moon during the first ~1.5Ga of their evolution by Transactions, Mining, Metallurgical and Geological Institute, v. 103, No 1&2, pp. 30–82 (2007) (peer reviewed)
- Ediacaran fossils in Meso- and Paleoproterozoic rocks in peninsular India extend Darwin by Abhijit Basu: Journal of the Geological Society of India (in press, 2009)
- H. Ma, D. L. Bish, H-W. Wang, and S. Chipera (2009) Determination of the crystal structure of sanderite, MgSO4•2H2O, by X-ray powder diffraction and charge flipping. American Mineralogist, 94, in press, (letter).
- H-W. Wang and D. L. Bish (2008) A PH2O-dependent structural phase transition in the zeolite natrolite. American Mineralogist, 93, 1191-1194 (letter).
- G. M. Bowers, D. L. Bish, and R. J. Kirkpatrick (2008) H2O and Cation Structure and Dynamics in Expandable Clays: 2H and 39K NMR Investigations of Hectorite. J. Physical Chem., 112, 6430-6438.
- C. T. Johnston, J. E. Kogel, D. L. Bish, T. Kogure, and H. H. Murray (2008) Low-temperature FTIR study of kaolin-group minerals. Clays and Clay Minerals, 56, 470-485.
- G. M. Bowers, D. L. Bish, and R. J. Kirkpatrick (2008) Cation exchange at the mineral-water interface: H3O+/K+ competition at the surface of nano-muscovite. Langmuir, 24, 10240-10244.
- J. Jänchen, R. V. Morris, D. L. Bish, M. Janssen, and U. Hellwig (2008) The H2O and CO2 adsorption properties of phyllosilicate-free palagonitic dust and smectites under martian environmental conditions. Geophys. Res. Letters, 10.1016/j.icarus.2008.12.006.
- F. M. Hausrath, A. Treiman, D. L. Bish, D. Blake, P. Sarrazin, T. Hoehler, E. Vicenzi, I. Midtkandl, A. Steele, and S. L. Brantley, (2008) Short- and long-term olivine weathering in Svalbard, and implications for Mars. Astrobiology, accepted.
- Harvey M.C., Brassell S.C., Belcher C.M., Montanari, A. (2008) Combustion of fossil organic matter at the K/P boundary. Geology 36, 355-358. doi: 10.1130/G24646A.1 Villinski J.C., Hayes J.M., Brassell S.C., Riggert V.L. & Dunbar R.B. (2008) Sedimentary sterols as biogeochemical indicators in the Southern Ocean. Org. Geochem. 39, 567-588. doi:10.1016/j.orggeochem.2008.01.009
- Wang R.L., Zhang S.C., Brassell S.C., Tomasi D., Scarpitta S.C., Zhang G., Sheng G.Y., Wang S.M. & Fu J.M. (2008) Geochemical signals and paleoclimate changes in a 16,000 14C year sedimentary record from Lake Gucheng, eastern China. In Geochemistry Research Advances, (ed. Stefánsson O.) pp. 143-161. Nova Science.
- Dumitrescu M. & Brassell S.C. Paleoceanographic and environmental controls on enrichment of major and trace elements in Early Aptian organic-rich sediments corresponding to Oceanic Anoxic Event-1a at Shatsky Rise (Site 1207). Paleoceanography.
- Jaraula C.B., Brassell S.C., Kenig F., & Doran P.T. Novel Penta-Unsaturated Alkenones From Lake Fryxell, Antarctica. Organic Geochemistry.
- Finkelstein D.B., Brassell S.C., Pratt L.M. (in reviwe) Microbial biosynthesis of wax esters during desiccation: an adaptation for colonization of the earliest terrestrial environments? Geology.
- Brassell S.C. Steryl ethers in a Valanginian claystone: molecular evidence for cooler waters in the central Pacific during the Early Cretaceous? Palaeogeog., Palaeoclimatol., Palaeoecol.
- Jaraula C.B., Brassell S.C., Kenig F., Doran P.T., Hopmans E. & Schouten S. (2008) Applicability of biomarker temperature proxies in cold end-member lakes in Taylor Valley, Antarctica. Gordon Conf. Org. Geochem., Plymouth, NH.
- Harvey M.C. & Brassell, S.C. (2008) Combustion of fossil organic matter associated with the Cretaceous/ Paleogene (K/P) boundary. Gordon Conf. Org. Geochem., Plymouth, NH.
- Finkelstein D.B. & Brassell S.C. (2008) Biosynthesis of wax esters during desiccation: an adaptation for survival on the early Earth? Gordon Conf. Org. Geochem., Plymouth, NH.
- Brassell, S.C. (2008) Sedimentary records of biomarkers as milestones for evolutionary innovations. Geol. Soc. Amer. Ann. Mtg., Houston, TX.
- Finkelstein D.B., Brassell S.C. & Pratt L.M. (2008) Evolution of Wax Esters as Storage Lipids in Microbial Mats. Geol. Soc. Amer. Ann. Mtg., Houston, TX.
- Brassell S.C. & Dumitrescu M. (2008) Biogeochemical evidence for environmental constraints on cyanobacterial populations during an Oceanic Anoxic Event. Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA.
- Finkelstein D.B. & Brassell S.C. (2008) Biosynthesis of wax esters during desiccation: an adaptation for survival on the early Earth? Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA.
- Brassell S.C. (submitted) Biomarker evidence for environmental constraints on ancient cyanobacterial assemblages. North-Central Section, Geol. Soc. Amer. 43rd Ann. Mtg., Rockford, IL.
- Brassell S.C. (submitted) Origin of steroidal ketones in Cretaceous marine sediments. 24th Intl. Mtg. Org. Geochem., Bremen, Germany.
- Brophy, J.G., Shriner C.M., Christidis, G. and Murray, H.H., A method of explanation for the process of cultural change I: A definition of Aeginetan Ware based on its physical properties: Hesperia (in review)
- Shriner C.M., Brophy, J.G., Christidis, G. and Murray, H.H., A method of explanation for the process of cultural change II: Theroetical and Archaeological Implications: Hesperia (in review)
- Brophy JG (2008) A study of rare earth element (REE) – SiO2 variations in felsic liquids generated by basalt fractionation and amphibolite melting: a potential test for discriminating between the two different processes. Contrib Mineral Petrol, 156, 337-35.
- Brophy JG (2009) Decompression and H2O exsolution driven crystallization and fractionation: development of a new model for low pressure fractional crystallization in calc-alkaline magmatic systems. Contrib Mineral Petrol (in press)
- Brophy JG (2009) La-SiO2 and Yb-SiO2 systematics in mid-ocean ridge (MOR) magmas: implications for the origin of plagiogranite. Contrib Mineral Petrol (in press)
- Sarkar A, Brophy JG, Ripley EM, Li C, Kamo S (2009?) Geochemical and isotopic studies of the Lady of the Lake Intrusion: Constraints on the genetic relation between Cretaceous mafic and silicic magmatism in southwestern Montana. Lithos (in review)
Research related to professional sub-discipline interests
- Douglas, B.J., E. Ripley, and L.J. Suttner, “Indiana University Geologic Field Programs Based in Montana: G429 and Other Field Courses, a Balance of Traditions and Innovations”, Geologic Society of America Special Paper, Field Geology Education: Historical Perspectives and Modern Approaches, Whitmeyer, S., D. Mogk, and E. Pyle, Editors, 16 p., 5 Tables, 9 Figures.
- Douglas, B.J. and K. Dull, Analysis of Cenozoic basin bounding faults, Southwestern Montana, (to be submitted to J. Structural Geology), 19 pp., 10 figures, (wrote text and created figures based on Dull's M.S. thesis and previous unpublished regional work). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J., M. Foust, and D. Taylor, Sandbox analog model for erosion in fold and thrust mountain belts, (to be submitted to Geology), 15 pp., 5 figures, (wrote text and created figures). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J. and C. McWilliams, Estimation of activation energies for olivine from xenoliths from southernmost South America, (to be submitted to J. Structural Geology), 14 pp., 3 figures, 2 tables, (wrote text and refined calculations, work partially based on McWilliams senior thesis). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J. and E. A. Moore, Investigating lithospheric coupling across the Nazca/Antarctic and South American plate boundary in the vicinity of the Chile Rise Triple junction using finite-element models, (to be submitted to Tectonics), (wrote text and refined interpretations from M.S. thesis material of E. A. Moore). (peer reviewed)
- Osterloo, M, Douglas, B.J., and Finkelstein, D., Structural analysis of the Warner Valley extensional basin, south-central Oregon: Strain quantification using field and remote sensing data sets, (to be submitted to Journal of Structural Geology), 35pp., 12 figures (worked with student to take MS thesis material and create journal manuscript). (peer reviewed)
- Pulchalski, S.S., B. J. Douglas and C.C. Johnson,"Effects of valve microstructure on strength and preservation potential of two modern chiton species"(to be submitted to PALAIOS), 30 pp., 9 figures. (peer reviewed)
- New research was continued with colleagues in three new areas of applied rock mechanics. This involved establishing procedures for working with non-traditional specimens for strength testing and characterization of fracture properties. The investigations required working to establish procedures compatible with accepted ASTM Standards and then conducting testing for three different projects in conjunction with other researchers on campus. One involved the strength of clays with applications for archeological investigations into early advances in pottery strength and a second involved the fracture characteristics of chiton shells with application to damage and preservation characteristics prior to burial.
Research related to teaching and learning
- Followed up on work with School of Education PhD student Orvil White to adapt techniques in laboratory exercises used in GEOL-G 105 for the teaching of geologic time. This will be part of an ongoing study using students in a single class to see whether teaching techniques can solve the problems associated with non-science majors grasping concepts related to large numbers with a particular emphasis on geologic time.
- Participated with Dr. J. Elkins from the Department of Geology at Bowling Green State University that is investigating how students handle learning in field-based setting. The project specifically addresses how the environment itself, referred to as novelty space, can affect the student's ability to learn.
- Initiated a study to investigate decision making in a field-based learning environment. This study addresses what is not a unique situation for many real life situations, but one that is common in teaching within the earth and environmental sciences – the use of field-based learning. The field component adds a new dimension to the decision making process that involves both spatial and temporal components that are linked to the student's ability to make decisions and learn to problem solve.
- Dunning, J., Battacharya, Dunning, K., Zitman, Siswaro, Dobbs, Williams, Sanusi, Nicklow, and Corrigan (the last 7 are students at IU) Matching Learning Styles and Pathways of Interactive Learning Objects to those of the Student: a Double Blind Study of Students in an Introductory College Geology Class, Accepted for the proceedings of the International Conference on Education and Information Science, IIIS, 18 pp.
- Repurposeable Learning Objects, Encyclopedia of Multimedia Technology and Networking,(2007) Dunning, Bhattacharya, Ansari, and Kaur, 429–441
- Dunning, J., Battacharya, Dunning, K., Do Learning styles really matter?, submitted to the Journal for Asynchronous Learning. 21 pp.
Published or In Press
- Elswick, E.R. and Johnson, C.C., Evaluation of a Siliciclastic Diamictite from Belize.(submitted to the Journal of South American Earth Sciences, Dec 2005; Accepted Feb 2007; Further revisions sent back to journal July 2008)
- Overberg-Webb, K, Craft, C., Elswick, E., 2008, The evaluation of the freshwater western pearl mussel, Margaritifera falcata (Gould, 1850), as a bioindicator through the analysis of metal partitioning and bioaccumulation: Northwest Science, v.82, no.3, p. 163-173.
- Monaghan, G.W., Gerke, T.L., Elswick, E.R., and Fik, C. 2008, Geoarchaeology and Geophysics at the Angel Site, Angel Mounds State Historic Site, Evansville, IN: Field Trip # 11; Geological Society of America, North-central Section Meeting. April 26, 2008.
- Struck, S.D., Craft, C.B., and Elswick, E.R. Stable Isotopes as indicators of soil reduction and organic matter sequestration following brackish marsh creation. (submitted to Environmental Science and Technology, Oct. 2008)
Preparing for Submission
- Elswick, E.R., and Anwar, A.M., Sandstone petrology and rare earth and trace element geochemistry of the Early Permian Santa Rosa Group sediments, Maya Mountains, Belize. (for submission to GSA Bulletin)
- Elswick, E.R., The trace element characteristics of the alteration zones of the main hydrothermal field Manus Basin, Bismark Sea. (for submission to ODP Reports)
- Elswick, E.R., Finkelstein, D.B., and Pratt, L.M., Sulfur budget of YAX-1 core, Chicxulub crater with models for sulfur isotopic fractionation patterns observed around the impact interval. (for submission to Science)
- Hill, MM and Elswick, E.R., Sauer, P.E., Sedimentation and nutrient loading rates, Griffy Reservoir, Bloomington, IN. (for submission to Journal of Environmental Quality)
- Hamburger, M.W. Big Red Goes Green! Indiana University’s Emerging Sustainability Initiative, Assn. Adv. Sustainability in Higher Ed., Symposium volume.
- M.W. Hamburger, D. Fuente, Navigating Theory and Practice: Indiana University’s Summer Program in Sustainability Amer. Assn. Sustainability in Higher Ed., Symposium volume.
- M.W. Hamburger, Green Campus, Green Future, Research & Creative Activity, 13:1, 2-4.
- M.W. Hamburger, Y. Kopnichev, A. Levshin, V. Martynov, N. Mikhailova, P. Molnar, P. G. Richards, S. Roecker, D. Simpson, B.E. Tucker, R. Wesson , 2008, In Memoriam: Vitaly Ivanovich Khalturin (1927-2007), Seism. Res. Lett., 78:6, 577–578.
- M. Hamburger, Galgana, G., Q. Chen, and K. Johnson, Geodetic Observations From the Region Surrounding the M 5.2 Mt. Carmel, Illinois Earthquake [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 89(53), Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract G21A-0664.
- Horton, S.P., S. Ayele, T. Stigall, G. Pavlis, H. Deshon, M. Hamburger , and M. Withers, Aftershocks of the Mw 5.2 April, 18, 2008, Mt. Carmel, Illinois Earthquake [abstract], Seismol. Soc. of Amer., Eastern Section, Program & Abstracts, p. 30.
- M.W. Hamburger, G. A. Galgana, K. M. Johnson, R. W. King, Crustal deformation in the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone based on ten years of GPS campaign measurements, UNAVCO Science Workshop, Program & Abstracts.
- M. Hamburger, Galgana, G., Q. Chen, and K. Johnson, 2008, Is There a Connection Between Seismicity and Deformation in the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Seismic zones? [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 88(52), Fall Meet. Suppl. Abs. T51D-0766.
- Galgana, G., M. Hamburger, R. McCaffrey, T. Bacolcol, and M. Aurelio, Modeling the Philippine Mobile Belt: Tectonic blocks in a deforming plate boundary zone [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 88(52), Fall Meeting Suppl. Abstract G21C-0670
- Kauffman, Erle G., and Johnson, Claudia C., 2009. Cretaceous warm climates. In, Gornitz, V., Editor, Encyclopedia of Paleoclimatology and Ancient Environments, Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, Springer, p. 213-217.
- Johnson, Claudia C., 2008. Association of paleoenvironment and evolutionary grade of reef constructors through the Phanerozoic. Abstract, 2008 Joint Meeting Geological Society of America, Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Gulf Coast Assoc. Geol. Societies with Gulf Coast Section SEPM.
- Budziak, A., Beeker, C. de Leon, R., Johnson, C., and Kauffman, E., 2008. From barrels to augers: Managing a transition in the mooring buoy systems of Bonaire National Marine Park. Abstract, International Coral Reef Symposium, Reefs for the Future, July 7-11, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
(Please note: even though I’m third author, I initiated the research presentation, wrote the abstract and prepared the entire poster. I also co-presented the poster at the conference.)
- Puchalski, S. S., Eernisse, D. J., Johnson, Claudia C., 2008. The effect of sampling bias on the fossil record of chitons (Mollusca, Polyplacophora). American Malacological Bulletin 25, p. 87-95.
- Puchalski, S. S., and Johnson, C. C., in press. Preservation potential of Katharina tunicata and Mopalia muscosa (Mollusca, Polyplacophora) on two rocky shores of San Juan Island, Washington, USA. Lethaia. DOI 10.1111/j.1502-3931.2008.00125x.
- Elswick, E. R., and Johnson, C. C., (2009, in press) A siliciclastic diamictite from the Maya Mountains, Belize. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, 35 ms pp.
- Puchalski, S. S., Johnson, C. C., Kauffman, E. G., and Eernisse, D. J., in press. A new genus and two new species of multiplacophoran chitons, Mississippian (Chesterian), Indiana, Journal of Paleontology, 28 ms pp, 7 figs.
- Hilley, G. E., Johnson, K. M., Shen, Z.-K., Wang, M., and Bürgmann, R., Earthquake-Cycle Deformation and Fault Slip Rates in Northern Tibet, Geology, in press (January 2009 publication)
- Johnson, K.M., Burgmann, R., and J.T. Freymueller, 2009. Coupled afterslip and viscoelastic flow following the 2002 Denali Fault, Alaska Earthquake, in press, J. Geophys. Int., GJI-08-0260.R0262.
- Fukuda, J., and Johnson, K.M., 2008. A fully Bayesian inversion for spatial distribution of fault slip with objective smoothing, Bulletin Seismological Society of America, v. 98, no. 3; p. 1128-1146; doi: 10.1785/0120070194.
- Fukuda, J., K. M. Johnson, K. M. Larson, and S. Miyazaki (2008), Fault friction parameters inferred from the early stages of afterslip following the 2003 Tokachi-oki earthquake, accepted, J. Geophys. Res.
- Huang, W.J., and Johnson, K.M., Growth of fault-cored anticlines by combined mechanisms of fault slip and buckling, Journal Geophysical Research, in review, Tectonophysics.
- Huang, W.J., Johnson, K.M., Fukuda, J., and S.B. Yu, Insights into active tectonics of eastern Taiwan from analyses of geodetic and geologic data, in review, Journal Geophysical Research.
- Puchalski, S.S., and Johnson, C.C., 2008. Preservation Potential of Katharina tunicata and Mopalia muscosa (Mollusca, Polyplacophora). Lethaia. DOI 10.1111/j.1502-391.2008.00125.x
- Puchalski, S.S., Eernisse, D.J., Johnson, C.C., 2008. Effect of sampling bias on the fossil record of chitons (Mollusca, Polyplacophora). American Malacological Bulletin, v. 25, p. 87-95.
- Elswick, E.R., and Johnson, C.C., 2008. A siliciclastic diamictite from the Maya Mountains, Belize. Journal of South American Earth Sciences.
- Kauffman, E.G., and Swado, J.K., 2008. A Mosasaur-Predated Nautiloid from the Maastrichtian Pierre Shale, Central Colorado, Western Interior Basin, USA. Lethaia.
- Puchalski, S.S., Johnson, C.C., Kauffman, E.G., and Eernisse, D.J., 2008. A new genus and two species of multiplacophorans (Mollusca, Polyplacophora, Neoloricata), Mississippian (Chestrian), Indiana. Journal of Paleontology.
- Johnson, Claudia C., Beeker, Charles D., Budziak, Anna T., Stewart, Joshua D., and Kauffman, Erle G., Coral recruits on submerged cultural artifacts, 1724 Guadalupe Underwater Archaeological Preserve, Dominican Republic. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Program, Vol. 39, No. 6, p. 404.
- Johnson, C.C., and Kauffman, E.G., 2006. Bivalve, rudist. AccessScience2006; DOI 10.1036/1097-8542.802330.
Accented and/or In Press
- Kauffman, Erle G., and Johnson, Claudia C., 2009. Cretaceous warm climates. In, Gornitz, V., Editor, Encyclopedia of Paleoclimatology and Ancient Environments, Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, Springer, p. 213-217.
- Johnson, Claudia C. Association of paleoenvironment and evolutionary grade of reef constructors through the Phanerozoic. Abstract, 2008 Joint Meeting Geological Society of America, Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Gulf Coast Assoc. Geol. Societies with Gulf Coast Section SEPM.
- Budziak, A., Beeker, C. de Leon, R., Johnson, C., and Kauffman, E. From barrels to augers: Managing a transition in the mooring buoy systems of Bonaire National Marine Park. Abstract, International Coral Reef Symposium, Reefs for the Future, July 7-11, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA.
- Thakurta J, EM Ripley, C Li (2008) Prerequisites for sulfide-poor PGE and sulfide-rich Cu-Ni-PGE mineralization in Alaskan-type complex. Journal of the Geological Society of India 72, 611-622
- Sarkar S, Ripley EM, Li C, Maier WD (2008) Stable isotope and mineral chemical composition constraints on contamination and hydrothermal alteration in the Uitkomst Complex, South Africa. Chemical Geology 257, 129-138
- Tao Y, Li C, Song X, Ripley EM (2008) Mineralogical, petrological and geochemical studies of the Limahe mafic-ultramatic intrusion and the associated Ni-Cu sulfide ores, SW China. Mineralium Deposita 43, 849-872
- Thakurta J, EM Ripley, C Li (2008) Geochemical constraints on the origin of sulfide mineralization in the Duke Island Complex, southeastern Alaska. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. DOI: 10.1029/2008GC001982
- Su SG, Li C, Zhou MF, Ripley EM, Qi L (2008) Controls on variations of platinum-group element concentrations in the sulfide ores of the Jinchuan Ni-Cu deposit, western China. Mineralium Deposita 43, 609-626
- Pang K-N, Li C, Zhou M-F, Ripley EM (2008) Abundant Fe–Ti oxide inclusions in olivine from the Panzhihua and Hongge layered intrusions, SW China: evidence for early saturation of Fe–Ti oxides in ferrobasaltic magma. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 156, 307-321
- Li C, Ripley EM, Tao Y, Mathez EA (2008) Cr-spinel/melt and Cr-spinel/olivine nickel partition coefficients from basalts, picrites and intrusive rocks. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72, 1678-1684
- Ripley EM, Shafer P, Li C, Hauck SA (2008) Re-Os Isotopic variations in magnetite from the contact zone of the Duluth Complex and the Biwabik iron formation, northeastern Minnesota. Chemical Geology 249, 213-226
- Li C, Ripley EM, Oberthür T, Miller JD, Joslin GD (2008) Textural and stable isotope studies of hydrothermal alteration in the Main Sulfide Zone of the Great Dyke, Zimbabwe, and the Precious Metals Zone of the Sonju Lake Intrusion, Minnesota, USA. Mineralium Deposita 43, 97–110
- Pang KN, Li C, Zhou M-F, Ripley EM, Compositional variations of olivine, clinopyroxene, plagioclase and apatite in the Panzhihua Fe-Ti-V ore-bearing intrusion, SW China: Constraints on petrogenesis and oregenesis. Lithos
- Sarkar A, Brophy J, Ripley EM, Li C, Kamo S, Origin of the Lady of the Lake Intrusion and its relation with the associated Tobacco Root Batholith, Montana. Lithos
- Li C., Ripley EM, Naldrett AJ, Schmitt AK, Moore CH (2009) Magmatic anhydrite-sulfide assemblages in the plumbing system of the Siberian Traps. Geology DOI: 10.1130/G25355A
- Li C, Jiang CY, Ripley EM, Where was the Longshoushan suspect terrane during the breakup of Rodinia? Precambrian Research
- Li C, Ripley EM, Empirical equations for estimating sulfur contents in silicate melts at S-saturation and example applications. Economic Geology
- Li C, Ripley EM, Naldrett AJ, A new genetic model for the giant Ni-Cu-PGE sulfide deposits associated with the Siberian flood basalts. Economic Geology
- Maier WD, A. Sarkar A, Ripley EM, Li C, Barnes S-J, The Kabanga Ni sulfide deposits, Tanzania II: Lithophile and isotope geochemistry. Mineralium Deposita
- Zhang MJ, Li C, Hu PQ, Ripley EM, Ye XR, Tang ZL, The abundances and isotopic compositions of Ar, He, Ne in the Jinchuan sulfide ore-bearing ultramafic intrusion, northwestern China. Chem Geol
- Merino, E. & Banerjee, A. (2008) Terra rossa genesis, implications for karst, and eolian dust: A geodynamic thread. Journal of Geology v.116, p.62-75.
- J. G. Meert, F. Pruett, E. Merino (2009) An ‘inverse conglomerate’ paleomagnetic test and timing of in-situ terra rossa formation at Bloomington, Indiana. Journal of Geology, accepted Nov 08. In press.
- A. Banerjee, E. Merino (2009) Terra rossa genesis by clay-for-limestone replacement: II. Dynamic quantitative model and test of the replacement mechanism. Chemical Geology, reviewed and under revision.
- Wang Yifeng, Xu Huifang, Merino Enrique, and Konishi Hiromi (2009) Origin of banded iron formations: Oceanic crust leaching and self-organized mineral banding. Nature Geoscience, under review.
- "Palygorskite (Attapulgite) in Central China", SME Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Laboratory Evaluation of Industrial Clays Prior to Processing", SME Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Regional and International Changes - Industrial Clay", SME Annual Meeting. Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Historical Review - Georgia Kaolin Industry - Geology of Industrial Minerals", Forum for Industrial Minerals, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2008.
- "Adsorption of Toxins by a Mixture of Montorillonite and Palygorskite". Clay Minerals Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008.
- Njau, J.K. and Hlusko, L.J. 2010. Fine–Tuning Paleoanthropological Reconnaissance using High–Resolution Satellite Imagery: The Discovery of 28 New Sites in Tanzania. Journal of Human Evolution 59, 680-684.
- Brochu, C.A., Njau, J.K., Blumenschine, R.J., Densmore, L.D. 2010. A New Horned Crocodile From Plio–Pleistocene Hominid Sites at Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. PLoS One 5(2), e9333.
- Njau, J.K., Alemseged, Z., Mbua, E., Briana, P. 2009. Second Conference of the East African Association for Paleoanthropology and Paleontology: Fifty Years After Discovery of Zinjanthropus. Evolutionary Anthropology 18, 235-236.
- Louchart, A., Wesselman, H., Blumenschine, R.J., Hlusko, L.J., Njau, J.K., Black, M.T., Asnake, M., White, T.D. 2009. Taphonomic, Avian, and Small Vertebrate Indicators of Ardipithecus ramidus Habitat. Science 326, 66.
- Blumenschine, R.J., Peters, C.R., Capaldo, S.D., Andrews, P., Njau, J.K., Pobiner, B.L. 2007. Vertebrate taphonomic perspectives on Oldowan hominin land use in the Plio–Pleistocene Olduvai Basin, Tanzania. In: Breathing Life into Fossils: Taphonomic Studies in Honor of C.K. Brain (T. Pickering, K. Schick, N. Toth eds). Gosport, IN: Stone Age Institute Press. Pp. 161-179.
- Njau, J.K. and Blumenschine, R.J. 2006. A Diagnosis of Crocodile Damage to Large Vertebrate Bones, With Fossil Examples From Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Journal of Human Evolution 50, 142-162.
- Blumenschine, R.J., Peters, C.R., Masao, F.T., Clarke, R.J., Deino, A.L., Hay, R.L., Swisher, C., Ashley, G.M., McHenry, L.J., Sikes, N.E., van der Merwe, N.J., Tactikos, J.C., Cushing, A.E., Deocampo, D.M., Njau, J.K., Ebert, J.I. 2003. Late Pliocene Homo and Hominid Land Use from Western Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Science 299, 1217-1221.
- Masao, F.T., Blumenschine, R.J., Peters, C.R. and Njau, J.K. 2003. Artifacts in the Kirawira stretch and other patches of the Grumeti River in Serengeti National Park: A brief report. Nyame Akuma 59, 66-75.
- Reid, A. and Njau, J.K. 1994. Archaeological research in Karagwe District. Nyame Akuma 41, 68-73.
- Njau, J.K., Hlusko, LJ, Morgan, L. Geology and paleontology of new Pleistocene locality in Hanang, northern Tanzania (paper near submission).
Published Journal Articles
- Letsinger, S.L. and Olyphant, G.A., 2007. Distributed energy balance modeling of snow cover evolution and melt in rugged terrain: Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana, USA. Journal of Hydrology 336: 48–60.
- Boswell, J.S. and Olyphant, G.A., 2007. Modeling the hydrologic response of groundwater dominated wetlands to transient boundary conditions: Implications for wetland restoration. Journal of Hydrology 332: 467–476.
- Burdick, S., C. Li, V. Martynov, T. Cox, J. Eakins, T. Mulder, L. Astiz, F. L. Vernon, G. L. Pavlis, R. D. vanderHilst (2008). Upper mantel heterogeneity beneath North America from travel time tomography with global and USArray Transportable Array Data, Seism. Res. Lett., 79, pp. 384-392, doi: 10.1785/gssrl.79.3.
- Panessa, A L, G. L. Pavlis, R. A. Hansen, and N. Ruppert (2008). Seismicity of the Bering Glacier Region: Inferences from Relocations Using Data from STEEP, EOS Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, CD-ROM Supplement, 2008 fall meeting.
- Bauer, M., G. L. Pavlis, M. Landes, R Hansen (2008). Crustal And Lithospheric Thickness Variations For Central Alaska And The Chugach-St. Elias Region From P and S Receiver Functions, EOS Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, CD-ROM Supplement, 2008 fall meeting.
- Pavlis T. L., R. L. Bruhn, K. Ridgway, E. Enkelmann, G. L. Pavlis, S. Gulick, I. Shennan, P. Koons (2008). Temporal Variations in the Structural Evolution of the St. Elias Orogen: Long term variations driven by dramatic exhumation vs short term uncertainties, EOS Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, CD-ROM Supplement, 2008 fall meeting.
- Pavlis, G. L., N. Ruppert, R. A. Hansen, A. Panessa, and J. Howard (2008). Seismicity of Southeast Alaska: Links Between Fault Geometry and Glaciers, EOS Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, CD-ROM Supplement, 2008 fall meeting.
- Landes, M. and G. L. Pavlis (2008). New Constraints On The Caribbean-South America Plate Boundary From S Wave Receiver Functions, EOS Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union, CD-ROM Supplement, 2008 fall meeting.
- Growdon, M. A., G. L. Pavlis, F. Niu, F. Vernon, H. Rendon (in press). Constraints on mantle flow at the Caribbean-South American plate boundary inferred from shear-wave splitting, J. Geophys. Res.
- P.D. Polly, J.T. Eronen, M. Fred, G. P. Dietl, V. Mosbrugger, C. Scheidegger, D.C. Frank, J. Damuth, N.C. Stenseth, and M. Fortelius. 2011. History matters: Ecometrics and Integrative Climate Change Biology. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B, 278: 1121-1130. doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.2233
- Polly, P.D. and J.T. Eronen. 2011. Mammal associations in the Pleistocene of Britain: implications of ecological niche modelling and a method for reconstrucing palaeoclimate. In N. Ashton, S. Lewis, and C. Stringer (eds.), The Ancient Human Occupation of Britain. Developments in Quaternary Science, 14: 279-304.
- Johnson, L.J., J.A. Cotton, C.P. Lichtenstein, G.S. Elgar, R.A. Nichols, P.D. Polly, and S.C. Le Comber,. 2011. Stops making sense: translational trade-offs and stop codon reassignment. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 11: 227. doi: 10.1186/1471-2148-11-227
- Polly, P.D., L. Killick, M. Ruddy. 2011. Using left-right asymmetry to estimate non-genetic variability in vole teeth (Arvicolinae, Muridae, Rodentia). Palaeontologia Electronica, 14.3.41A.
- Ksepka, D.T., M.J. Benton, M.T.Carrano, M.A. Gandolfo, J.J. Head, E.J. Hermsen, W.G. Joyce, K.S. Lamm, J.S.L. Patané, M.J. Phillips, P.D. Polly, J.L. Ware, R.C.M. Warnock, M. van Tuinen, and J.F. Parham. 2011. Synthesizing and databasing fossil calibrations: divergence dating and beyond. Biology Letters, doi: 10.1098/rsbl.2011.0356.
- Goswami, A. and P.D. Polly. 2010 . Methods for studying morphological integration, modularity and covariance evolution. Pp. 213-243 in J. Alroy and G. Hunt (eds.), Quantitative Methods in Paleobiology. Paleontological Society Short Course, October 30th, 2010. The Paleontological Society Papers, Volume 16.
- Goswami, A. and P. D. Polly. 2010. The influence of modularity on cranial morphological disparity in Carnivora and Primates (Mammalia). PLoS One, 5, e9517: 1-8.
- Poroshin, E.A., P.D. Polly, and J.M. Wójcik. 2010. Climate and morphological change on decadal scales: Multiannual variation in the common shrew (Sorex araneus L.) in northeast Russia. Acta Theriologica, 55: 193-202.
- Cardini, A., S. Elton, J.A.F. Diniz-Filho, and P.D. Polly. 2010. Spatial data analysis and ecomorphology using geometric morphometrics: clines in skull size and shape in a widespread African arboreal monkey. Pp. 191-217 in A.M.T. Elewa (ed), Morphometrics for Nonmorphometricians, Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences, Volume 124. Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Bose, R., C. Schneider, P. D. Polly, and M. M. Yacobucci. 2010. Ecological Interactions between Rhipidomella (Orthides, Brachiopoda) and its endoskeletobionts and predators in the Middle Devonian Dundee Formation of Ohio, USA. Palaios, 25: 196-208.
- Eronen, J.T., P.D. Polly, M. Fred, J. Damuth, D.C. Frank, V. Mosbrugger, C. Scheidegger, N.C. Stenseth, and M. Fortelius. 2010. Ecometrics: the traits that bind the past and present together. Integrative Zoology, 5: 88-101.
- Polly, P.D. 2010. Tiptoeing through the trophics: geographic variation in carnivoran locomotor ecomorphology in relation to environment. Pp. 347-410 in A. Goswami and A. Friscia (eds.), Carnivoran Evolution: New Views on Phylogeny, Form, and Function.
- Goswami, A. and P.D. Polly. 2010. Modularity constrains morphological evolution in the placental mammal skull. Pp. 141-164 in A. Goswami and A. Friscia (eds.), Carnivoran Evolution: New Views on Phylogeny, Form, and Function. Cambridge University Press.
- Lawing, A.M. and P.D. Polly. 2010. Geometric morphometrics: recent applications to the study of evolution and development. Journal of Zoology. 280: 1-7. Doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7998.2009.00620.x
- Cardini, A., D. Nagorsen, P. O’Higgins, P.D. Polly, R. W. Thorington, Jr., and P. Tongiorgi. 2009. Detecting biological distinctiveness using geometric morphometrics: an example case from the Vancouver Island marmot. Ethology, Ecology & Evolution, 21: 209-223.
- Head, J.J., J.I. Bloch, A.K. Hastings, J.R. Bourque, E. Cadena, F. Herrera, P.D. Polly, and C.A. Jaramillo. 2009. Giant boine snake from a Paleocene Neotropical rainforest indicates hotter past equatorial temperatures. Nature, 457: 715-718. doi:10.1038/nature07671
- Schutz, H., P.D. Polly, J.D. Krieger and R.P. Guralnick. 2009. Differential sexual dimorphism of body regions: a case study examining the cranium and pelvis of Gray foxes (Urocyon). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 96: 339-353.
- Polly, P.D. 2008. Developmental dynamics and G-matrices: Can morphometric spaces be used to model evolution and development? Evolutionary Biology, 35: 83-96.
- Polly, P.D. and N. MacLeod. 2008. Locomotion in fossil Carnivora: an application of eigensurface analysis for morphometric analysis of 3D surfaces. Palaeontologia Electronica, 11.2.8A. http://palaeo-electronica.org/2008_2/135/index.html
- Atar, M., R. Yasmin, R. Sharma, S.C. Le Comber, P. Verry, and P.D. Polly. 2008. Of mice and mutations: phenotypic effects of the diabetic db/db and ob/ob mutations on the skull and teeth of mice. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, 9: 37-40.
- Polly, P. D. 2008. Adaptive Zones and the Pinniped Ankle: A 3D Quantitative Analysis of Carnivoran Tarsal Evolution. Pp. 165-194 in (E. Sargis and M. Dagosto, Eds.) Mammalian Evolutionary Morphology: A Tribute to Frederick S. Szalay. Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Polly, P. D. 2008. 29 short articles for Encyclopaedia Britannica, 16th Edition: Condylarthra, Creodonta, Dawn Horse, Deltatheridium, Docodon, Eohippus, Glyptodon, Hyaenodon, Litoptern, Miacis, Miohippus, Moeritherium, Multituberculate, Mylodon, Notharctus, Notoungulata, Phenacodus, Pliohippus, Ptilodus, Sabre-toothed Cat, Smilodon, Spalacotherium Taeniodont, Thylacosmilus, Titanothere, Toxodon, Triconodon, Uintatherium, Woolly rhinoceros.
- Chivian, D., Alm, E.J., Brodie, E.L., Culley, D.E., Dehal, P.S., DeSantis, T.Z., Gihring, T.M., Lapidua, A., Lin, L-H., Lowry, S.R., Moser, D.P., Richardson, P., Southam, G., Wanger, G., Pratt, L.M., Andersen, G.L., Hazen, T.C., Brockman, F.J., Arkin, A.P., and Onstott, T.C., 2008, Environmental genomics reveals a single species ecosystem deep within the Earth. Science 322, 275-278 DOI: 10.1126/science.1155495.
- Freifeld, B. M., Finsterle, S., Onstott, T. C., Toole P., and Pratt, L. M., 2008. Ground surface temperature reconstructions: using in situ estimates for thermal conductivity acquired with a fiber-optic distributed thermal perturbation sensor. Geophyical Research Letters 35(L14309, doi:10.1029/2008GL034762 ).
- Szynkiewicz, A., Medina, M.R., Modelska, M., Monreal, R. and Pratt, L.M., 2008, Sulfur isotopic study of sulfate in the aquifer of Costa de Hermosillo (Sonora, Mexico) in relation to upward intrusion of saline groundwater, irrigation pumping and land cultivation. Applied Geochemistry 23, 2539-2558.
- Szynkiewicz, A., Ewing, R.C., Moore, C.H., Gamoclija, M., Bustos, D. and Pratt, L.M., Origin of terrestrial gypsum dunes – implications for Martian gypsum-rich dunes of Olympia Undae, submitted to Geomorphology and accepted pending minor revisions.
- Gihring, T.M., Moser, D.P., Morgan, L.E., Fredrickson, J.K., Brockman, F.J., Keift, T.L. Sherwood Lollar, B., Dollhopf, M.E., Balkwill, D.L., Onstott, T.C., Boice, E., and Pratt, L.M., Genetic and Geochemical Evidence for Microbially-Mediated Sulfur and Methane Cycling in a Dolomite Aquifer 0.9 km Below the Surface. Submitted to Environmental Microbiology.
- Prentice, M.L. and S. Glidden, 2010, Glacier crippling and the rise of the snowline in western New Guinea (Papua Province, Indonesia) from 1972 to 2000. In Haberle, S., Stevenson, J., Prebble, M., (eds.), Altered Ecologies: Fire, climate and human influence on terrestrial landscapes, Terra Australis, 32, ANU EPress, Canberra, pp. 457-471.
- Prentice, M.L., Hope, G.S., Peterson, J.A., Barrows, T.T., in press, The glaciation of the southeast Asian equatorial region. In: Ehlers, J.J. and Gibbard, P.L. (eds.), Quaternary Glaciations- Extent and Chronology PART IV- A Closer Look. Elsevier.
- Li C, Ripley EM, Oberthür T, Miller JD, Joslin GD (2008) Textural and stable isotope studies of hydrothermal alteration in the Main Sulfide Zone of the Great Dyke, Zimbabwe, and the Precious Metals Zone of the Sonju Lake Intrusion, Minnesota, USA. Mineralium Deposita 43, 97-110.
- Ripley EM, Shaffer P, Li C, Hauck SA (2008) Re-Os and O isotopic variations in magnetite from the contact zone of the Duluth Complex and the Biwabik Iron Formation, northeastern Minnesota. Chemical Geology 249, 213-226.
- Li C, Ripley EM, Tao Y, Mathez EA (2008) Cr-spinel/olivine and Cr-spinel/liquid nickel partition coefficients from natural samples. Geochemica et Cosmochimica Acta 72, 1678-1684.
- Maier WD, Barnes S-J, Bandyayera D, Livesey T, Li C, Ripley EM (2008) Early Kibaran rift-related mafic-ultramafic magmatism in Tanzania and Burundi: Petrogenesis and ore potential of the Kapalagulu and Musongati layered intrusions. Lithos, 101, 24-53.
- Lira R, Ocanto C, Ripley EM (2008) Hydrogen and oxygen isotope data of epidote – group minerals: Evidence for the origin of some metasomatic and deuteric-hydrothermal fluids from the Sierra Pampeanas of Cordoba, Argentina. VI South American Symposium on Isotope Geology, 8pp.
- deWaal SA, Schweitzer J-K, Graham IT, Gauert CDK, Barnes S-J, Ripley EM (2008) A Bushveld-related high –Ti igneous suite (HITIS) derived from an alkali to transitional basaltic magma, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology. (currently only issues through March have been printed)
- Su Shangguo, Li C, Zhou M-F, Ripley EM, Qi L (2008) Controls on variations of platinum-group element concentrations in the sulfide ores of the Jinchuan Ni-Cu deposit, western China. Mineralium Deposita 43, 609-622.
- Pang K-W, Li C, Zhou M-F, Ripley EM (2008) Abundant Fe-Ti oxide inclusions in olivine from the Panzhihua and Hongge layered intrusions, SW China: evidence for early saturation of Fe-Ti oxides in ferrobasaltic magma. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 156, 307-321.
- Tao Y, Li C, Song X-Y, Ripley EM (2008) Mineralogical, petrological, and geochemical studies of the Limahe mafic-ultramafic intrusion and associated Ni-Cu sulfide ores, SW China. Mineralium Deposita 43, 849-872.
- Thakurta J, Ripley EM, Li C (2008) Geochemical constraints on the origin of sulfide mineralization in the Duke Island Complex, southeastern Alaska. Geochemistry Geopyhsics Geosystems 9, Q07003,doi:10.1029/2008GC001982.
- Thakurta J, Ripley EM, Li C (2008) Prerequisites for sulphide-poor PGE and sulphide-rich Cu-Ni-PGE mineralization in Alaskan-type complexes. Journal of the Geological Society of India 72, 611-622.
- Sarkar A, Ripley EM, Li C, Maier,WD (2008) Stable isotope, fluid inclusion, and mineral chemistry constraints on contamination and hydrothermal alteration in the Uitkomst Complex, South Africa. Chemical Geology 257, 129-138.
- Sarkar A, Brophy JG, Ripley EM, Li C, Kamo S Geochemical and isotopic studies of the Lady of the Lake Intrusion: Constraints on the genetic relation between Cretaceous mafic and silicic magmatism in southwestern Montana. Lithos.
- Li C., Ripley EM, Naldrett AJ, Schmitt AK, Moore CH Magmatic anhydrite-sulfide assemblages in the plumbing system of the Siberian Traps. Geology DOI: 10.1130/G25355A
- Pang KN, Li C, Zhou M-F, Ripley EM, Compositional variations of olivine, clinopyroxene, plagioclase and apatite in the Panzhihua Fe-Ti-V ore-bearing intrusion, SW China: Constraints on petrogenesis and ore genesis. Lithos
- Li C, Jiang C-Y, Ripley EM Where was the Longshoushan suspect terrane during the breakup of Rodinia? Precambrian Research
- Li C, Ripley EM Empirical equations for estimating sulfur contents in silicate melts at S-saturation and examples. Economic Geology
- Li C, Ripley EM, Naldrett AJ A new genetic model for the giant Ni-Cu-PGE sulfide deposits associated with the Siberian flood basalts. Economic Geology
- Thakurta J, Ripley EM, Li C Oxygen isotopic disequilibrium associated with multiple stages of serpentinization, Duke Island Complex, southeastern Alaska. Geochmica et Cosmochimica Acta
- Maier WD, A. Sarkar A, Ripley EM, Li C, Barnes S-J, The Kabanga Ni sulfide deposits, Tanzania II: Lithophile and isotope geochemistry. Mineralium Deposita
- Zhang MJ, Li C, Hu PQ, Ripley EM, Ye XR, Tang ZL, The abundances and isotopic compositions of Ar, He, Ne in the Jinchuan sulfide ore-bearing ultramafic intrusion, northwestern China. Chem Geol
- Henning, M.; Strapoc, D.; Lis, G. P.; Sauer, P.; Fong, J.; Schimmelmann, A.; Pratt, L. M., Versatile inlet system for on-line compound-specific δD and δ13C gas chromatography-oxidation/reduction-isotope ratio mass spectrometry analysis of gaseous mixtures. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2007, 21, 2269–2272. (peer reviewed)
- Sauer, P. E., Schimmelmann, A., Sessions, A. L., and Topalov, K., accepted, Simplified batch equilibration for D/H determination of non-exchangeable hydrogen in solid organic material: Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry.
- Schimmelmann, A., Mastalerz, M., Gao, L., Sauer, P. E., and Topalov, K., submitted, Dike intrusions into bituminous coal, Illinois Basin: H, C, N, O isotopic responses to intermittent heating: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Schieber, J., 2009, Discovery of Agglutinated Benthic Foraminifera in Devonian Black Shales and Their Relevance for the Redox State of Ancient Seas. Paleogeograpy, Paleoclimatology, Paleoecology, v. 271, p. 292-300.
- Patranabis-Deb, S., Schieber, J., and Basu, A., 2009, Almandine Garnet Phenocrysts in a ~1Ga Old Rhyolitic Tuff from Central India. Geological Magazine, v. 146, p. 133-143.
- Basu, A., Patranabis-Deb, S., Schieber, J., and Dhang, P.C., 2008, Stratigraphic Position of the ~1000 Ma Sukhda Tuff (Chhattisgarh Supergroup) and the 500 Ma question. Precambrian Research, v. 167, p. 383-388.
Accepted & In Press
- Schieber, J., Iron Sulfide Formation. Contribution to Encyclopedia of Geobiology, Springer Verlag, J. Reitner (Ed.), in press.
- Schieber, J., Shales. Contribution to Encyclopedia of Geobiology, Springer Verlag, J. Reitner (Ed.), in press.
- Glamoclija, M., Steele, A., Fries, M., and Schieber, J., Association of Anatase (TiO2) and Bacteria; Unusual Fossilization Effect or A Potential Biosignature? In Press, GSA Special Paper.
- Over, J.D., Lazar, R., Baird, G.C., Schieber, J., and Ettensohn, T., Protosalvinia Dawson and associated conodonts of the upper Trachytera zone, Famennian, Upper Devonian, in the eastern United Sates. In Press, Journal of Paleontology.
- Schieber, J., and Southard, J.B., Bedload Transport of Mud by Floccule Ripples – Direct Observation of Ripple Migration Processes and their Implications. In Press, Geology.
Submitted & In Review
- Schieber, J., Schimmelmann, A., and Southard, J.B., Lenticular Shale Fabrics Resulting from Intermittent Erosion of Muddy Sediments – Comparing Observations from Flume Experiments to the Rock Record. In Review, Journal of Sedimentary Research.
- Lazar, R., Schieber, J., and Over, J., A New Stratigraphic Framework for the Devonian New Albany Shale of the Illinois Basin. In review, Indiana Geological Survey Special Publications.
- Glamoclija, M., Schieber, J., Szynkiewicz, A., and Beard, B., Physical and geochemical microbial biosignatures from a submarine hydrothermal location north of Panarea Island, Tyrrhenian Sea, Italy. Submitted to Geochimica and Cosmochimica Acta.
- Schieber, J., Early Diagenetic Marcasite (FeS2) in Black Shales and Implications for Reading the Rock Record. Submitted to Science.
- Jin, Hui, A. Schimmelmann, Maria Mastalerz, James Pope, Tim A. Moore (2010) Coalbed gas desorption in canisters: Consumption of trapped atmospheric oxygen and implications for measured gas quality. International Journal of Coal Geology 81 (1), 64–72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2009.10.010
- Lefticariu, Liliana, Lisa A. Pratt, Jay A. LaVerne, A. Schimmelmann (2010) Anoxic pyrite oxidation by water radiolysis products — A potential source of biosustaining energy. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 292 (1-2), 57-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2010.01.020.
- Mao, Jing-Dong, A. Schimmelmann, Maria Mastalerz, P.G. Hatcher, and Y. Li (2010) Structural features of a bituminous coal and their changes during low-temperature oxidation and loss of volatiles investigated by advanced solid-state NMR spectroscopy. Energy and Fuels 24 (4), 2536–2544. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ef9015069.
- Mao, Jingdong, Xiaowen Fang, Yeqiang Lan, A. Schimmelmann, Maria Mastalerz, Ling Xu, Klaus Schmidt-Rohr (2010) Chemical and nanometer-scale structure of kerogen and its change during thermal maturation investigated by advanced solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74, 2110-2127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2009.12.029.
- Nabbefeld, Birgit, Kliti Grice, A. Schimmelmann, Roger E. Summons, Ulrike Troitzsch, Richard J. Twitchett (2010) A comparison of thermal maturity parameters between freely extracted hydrocarbons (Bitumen I) and a second extract (Bitumen II) from within the kerogen matrix of Permian and Triassic sedimentary rocks. Organic Geochemistry 41 (2), 78-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.orggeochem.2009.08.004.
- Schieber, Juergen, John B. Southard, A. Schimmelmann (2010) Lenticular shale fabrics resulting from intermittent erosion of water-rich muds – Interpreting the rock record in the light of recent flume experiments. Journal of Sedimentary Research 80 (1), 119-128. http://dx.doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2010.005.
- Schimmelmann, A., Grzegorz P. Lis (2010) Nitrogen isotopic exchange during maturation of organic matter. Organic Geochemistry 41 (1), 63–70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.orggeochem.2009.01.005.
- Grelaud, Michaël, A. Schimmelmann, Luc Beaufort (2009) Coccolithophore response to climate and surface hydrography in Santa Barbara Basin, California, AD 1917 – 2004. Biogeosciences 6, 2025–2039. http://www.biogeosciences.net/6/2025/2009/bg-6-2025-2009.pdf.
- Mastalerz, Maria, Agnieszka Drobniak, A. Schimmelmann (2009) Changes in optical properties, chemistry, and micropore and mesopore characteristics of bituminous coal at the contact with dikes in the Illinois Basin. International Journal of Coal Geology 77 (3-4), 310-319. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2008.05.014.
- Mastalerz, Maria, Wilfrido Solano-Acosta, Arndt Schimmelmann, Agnieszka Drobniak (2009) Effects of coal storage in air on physical and chemical properties of coal and on gas adsorption. International Journal of Coal Geology 79 (4), 167-174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2009.07.001
- Sauer, Peter E., A. Schimmelmann, Alex L. Sessions, Katarina Topalov (2009) Simplified batch equilibration for D/H determination of non-exchangeable hydrogen in solid organic material. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23 (7), 949-956. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rcm.3954
- Schimmelmann, A., Andrea Albertino, Peter E. Sauer, Haiping Qi, Roland Molinie, François Mesnard (2009) Nicotine, acetanilide and urea multi-level 2H-, 13C- and 15N-abundance reference materials for continuous-flow isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23 (22), 3513–3521. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rcm.427
- Schimmelmann, A., Maria Mastalerz, Ling Gao, Peter E. Sauer, Katarina Topalov (2009) Dike intrusions into bituminous coal, Illinois Basin: H, C, N, O isotopic responses to rapid and brief heating. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73 (20) 6264–6281. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2009.07.027.
- Mastalerz, Maria, Ling Gao, A. Schimmelmann (2010) Origin of gas in coal seams. North American CBM Forum - Coalbed methane from prospect to pipeline. The 25th Anniversary Special 2-day Forum. Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, 28-29 April, 2010. Invited presentation, abstract.
- Schimmelmann, A., Aaron Zayin (2010) Optical scanning of water-wet and epoxy-embedded sediment mini-slabs for structural documentation of laminated unconsolidated sediment: Energetic turbidites erode underlying varves in Santa Barbara Basin, California. PAGES Varves Working Group 1st Workshop, 7-9 April 2010, Lahemaa National Park Centre, Estonia.
- Gao, Ling, A. Schimmelmann, Maria Mastalerz, Peter E. Sauer, Katarina Topalov (2009) Hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen isotopic responses to instantaneous heating along a coal seam near two dike intrusions in Illinois. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon, October 18-21, 2009. Abstract # 161281. http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2009AM/finalprogram/abstract_161281.htm.
- Jin, Hui, A. Schimmelmann, Maria Mastalerz (2009) Influence of the consumption of oxygen on coalbed gas composition from desorption canisters. American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Annual Convention & Exhibition, Energy Minerals Division (EMD) session "Coalbed Hydrocarbons", Denver, June 7-10, 2009. http://www.aapg.org/denver/
- Jones, Ashley, Alex L. Sessions, A. Schimmelmann, Katarina Topalov, Peter E. Sauer (2009) Using D/H ratios of bulk fractions to constrain the biochemical sources of particulate organic matter. American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO), Aquatic Sciences Meeting 2009, Nice, France, Jan 25-30, 2009. http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/nice2009/viewabstract2.asp?AbstractID=5740.
- Mao, Jingdong, A. Schimmelmann, M. Mastalerz, P.G. Hatcher, Y. Li (2009) Structural features of a bituminous coal and their changes after low-temperature oxidation and loss of volatiles investigated by advanced solid-state NMR spectroscopy. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon, October 18-21, 2009. Abstract No: 165559. http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2009AM/finalprogram/abstract_165559.htm.
- Nabbefeld, Birgit, Kliti Grice, Richard Twitchett, Roger Summons, Lindsay Hays, A. Schimmelmann, Michael E. Böttcher (submitted) A comprehensive study of a Permian-Triassic section from Lusitaniadalen, Spitsbergen: Biomarker abundances and their stable carbon and hydrogen isotopic compositions. 24th International Meeting on Organic Geochemistry (IMOG), September 6-11, 2009, Bremen, Germany. Abstract O-25, p. 29. http://www.marum.de/Binaries/Binary42310/IMOG2009_AbstractBook.pdf
- Schimmelmann, A. (2009) Coffin-lid effect of clay-rich flood and turbidite layers in sediment from Santa Barbara Basin, California. Pacific Climate (PACLIM) 2009 Workshop, Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, California, April 19-22, 2009. Abstract book p. 32. http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/cirmount/meetings/paclim/pdf2009/paclim_abstracts2009.pdf Schimmelmann, A. (2009) Development of H, C, N, O stable isotope reference materials at Indiana University. ISOCOMPOUND ’09, 1-5 June 2009, Potsdam, Germany. http://isocompound2009.org/
- Schimmelmann, A., Maria Mastalerz, Ling Gao, Peter E. Sauer, Katarina Topalov (2009) Thermal maturation of coal near dike intrusions in Illinois: Kerogen H, C, N isotopic responses along coal seam reflect hydrologic isolation. 8th International Symposium on Applied Isotope Geochemistry, La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada, August 30th to September 4th, 2009.
- Schimmelmann, A., Maria Mastalerz, Ling Gao, Peter E. Sauer, Katarina Topalov (2009) H, C, N, O isotopic trends in coal near dike intrusions. The International Committee for Coal and Organic Petrology (ICCP), and The Society for Organic Petrology (TSOP), Joint Annual Meeting, September 19-26, 2009, in Gramado-Porto Alegre, Brazil. http://www.ufrgs.br/ICCP_TSOP_2009
- Schimmelmann, A., Maria Mastalerz, Ling Gao, Peter E. Sauer, Katarina Topalov (2009) H, C, N, O isotopic responses in coal adjacent to dike intrusions. 24th International Meeting on Organic Geochemistry (IMOG), September 6-11, 2009, Bremen, Germany. Abstract O-33, p. 37. http://www.marum.de/Binaries/Binary42310/IMOG2009_AbstractBook.pdf
- Topalov, Katarina, A. Schimmelmann, David Polly, Peter E. Sauer, Mark Lowry (2009) Stable hydrogen isotopes in bone collagen as a paleoenvironmental indicator. 6th Bone Diagenesis Meeting 2009, Bonn, Germany, September 18-21, 2009. www.bone-diagenesis.org
- Topalov, Katarina, A. Schimmelmann, David Polly, Peter E. Sauer, Mark Lowry (2009) Stable hydrogen isotopes in bone collagen as a paleoenvironmental indicator. Pacific Climate (PACLIM) 2009 Workshop, Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, California, April 19-22, 2009. Abstract book p. 39-40. http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/cirmount/meetings/paclim/pdf2009/paclim_abstracts2009.pdf
- Topalov, Katarina, A. Schimmelmann, P. David Polly, Peter E. Sauer, Mark Lowry (2009) D/H of bone collagen as environmental and trophic indicator. Goldschmidt Conference, Davos, Switzerland, June 21-26, 2009. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73 (13, Supplement 1), A1340. http://www.goldschmidt2009.org/abstracts/finalPDFs/A1340.pdf
- Shriner, C.M., Brophy, J.G., Christidis, G., and Murray, H.H. A Method of Explanation for the Process of Cultural Change: Archaeological and Theoretical Implications. Studi Micenei ed Egeo-Anatolici del CNR (SMEA).
- Wintsch, R.P., Aleinikoff, J.N., Walsh, G.J., Bothner, W.A., Hussey, A.M., II., and Fanning, C. M., (2007) SHRIMP U-Pb evidence for a Late Silurian age of metasedimentary rocks in the Merrimack and Putnam-Nashoba Terranes, eastern New England: Am. J. Sci. 307, pp.119–167. (peer reviewed)
- Aleinikoff, J.N., Wintsch, R.P., Tollo, R. P., and Unruh, D.M., Fanning, C.M., and Schmitz, M. D. (2007), Ages and origins of rocks of the Killingworth Dome, south central Connecticut; implications for the tectonic evolution of southern New England: Am. J. Sci. 307, pp.63–118. (peer reviewed)
- McWilliams, C.K., Wintsch, R. P., and Kunk, M.J. (2007), Scales of equilibrium and disequilibrium during cleavage formation in chlorite and biotite grade phyllites, SE Vermont: J. Metamorphic Geology 25, 895–913. (peer reviewed)
- Walsh, G.J., Aleinikoff, J.N., and Wintsch, R.P., 2007, Origin of the Lyme Dome and implications for the timing of multiple Alleghanian deformational and intrusive events in southern Connecticut: Am. J. Sci. 307 pp.168–215. (peer reviewed)
- Wang, Guo-Can, Wintsch, R.P., Garver, J. I., Roden-Tice, M., Chen, She-Fa, Zhang, Ke-Xin, Lin, Qi-Xiang, Zhu, Yun-Hai, Xiang, Shu-Yuan, and De-Wei Li, 2009, Provenance and thermal history of the Bayan Har Group in the western-central Songpan–Ganzi–Bayan Har terrane: implications for tectonic evolution of the northern Tibetan Plateau: The Island Arc, in press.
- Dorais, M.J.,. Wintsch, R.P.,. Nelson< W.R., Tubrett, M., Insights into the Acadian orogeny, New England Appalachians: A provenance study of the Carrabasset Formation, Central Maine basin: Atlantic Geology, in press.
Approved for Publication by the U.S. Geological Survey
- Wintsch, R. P. Kunk, M. J., Mulvey, B. K., Southworth, C. S., 2008, Dating Multiple cleavages in the lower greenschist facies rocks: an application of the 40Ar/39Ar age spectrum method to the tectonic assemblage of the Westminster terraen in the Piedmont of Maryland, USA. To be submitted to the GSA Bull. [submitted to and authorized for publication by the Director of the USGS]
- Wintsch, Robert P. (2007) Preface: John Rodgers memorial issue; Part I: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.1, January, pp. ix–xii, (peer reviewed)
- Wintsch, Robert P. (2007) John Rodgers memorial issue; Part I: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.1, January, pp.1–310. (peer reviewed)
- Wintsch, Robert (2007) John Rodgers memorial issue, Part II: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.2, February, pp.311–553 (peer reviewed)
- Lu, Hereford, Zhu, and Seyfried, 2010, Navajo Sandstone-Brine-CO2 interaction: Implications for Geological Carbon Sequestration . Environmental Earth Sciences, doi:10.1007/s12665-010-0501-y.
- Zhu, C., Lu, P., Zheng, Z., Ganor, J., 2010. Coupled Alkali Feldspar Dissolution and Secondary Mineral Precipitation in Batch Systems: 4. Numerical modeling of reaction path. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2010.04.012.
- Zhu C., and Kipfer, R., 2010. Noble Gas Evidence for the Passing of the Southern Branch of Jet Streams in Late Pleistocene over Black Mesa, Arizona, USA, Geology, v.38, no.1, 83–86; doi:10.1130/G30369.1
- Zhu, C., 2009. Geochemical modeling of reaction paths and networks. Chapter 12 in Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Water-rock Interactions. E.H. Oelkers and J. Schott (eds), Review in Mineralogy and Geochemistry vol.70, pp. 533-569.
- Liu, Faye (Yifei) Le, C, McKnight-Whitford, A., Xia, Y., Wu, F., Elswick, E., Johnson, C.C., Zhu, C., Antimony Speciation and Contamination of Waters in Xikuangshan Sb Mining and Smelting Area, China. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, DOI 10.1007/s10653-010-9284-z.
- Yang, C., Samper, J., Zhu, C., Jones, S.B., Numerical modeling of the development of a preferentially leached layer on feldspar surfaces. Environmental Geology, v.57, p. 1639-1647. DOI: 10.1007/s00254-008-1445-3.
- Georg, R. B., Zhu, C. Reynolds, R.C., and Halliday, A.N., 2009. Stable silicon isotopes of groundwater, feldspars, and clay coatings in the Navajo Sandstone aquifer, Black Mesa, Arizona, USA. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v.73, 229-2241.
- Fu, Q., P Lu, H. Konishi, R. Dilmore, H. Xu, W. E. Seyfried, Jr., and C. Zhu, 2009. Coupled Alkali-feldspar Dissolution and Secondary Mineral Precipitation in Batch Systems: 1. New Experimental Data at 200°C and 300 bars. Chemical Geology 91(3), 955-964. doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2008.09.014.
- Kelly, S., Lu, P., Newville, M.G., Bolin, T., Chattopadhyay, S., Shibata, T., Zhu, C., 2008. Molecular structure of Lead (II) coprecipitated with Iron(III) oxyhydroxide. Chapter 3 in Adsorption of Metals by Geomedia II: Variables, Mechanisms, and Model Applications. M. Barnett and D. Kent (ed.), pp. 67-94, Developments in Earth & Environmental Sciences 7, Elsevier.
- Dilmore, R., Lu, P., Soong, Y. , Allen, Hedges, H., Fu, J. K., Dobbs, C., Degalbo, A., Zhu, C., 2008. Sequestration of CO2 in mixtures of bauxite residue and saline waste water, Energy & Fuels, v 22, No.1, p. 343-353.
- Yang, C., Park, M., and Zhu, C., 2007. An expanded method to estimate in situ kinetic rates from push-pull tests with non-zero background concentrations. Environmental Geosciences and Engineering, v. 13, no.4 p. 345-354.
- Hereford, A. G., Keating, E., Guthrie, G., Zhu, C, 2007. Reactions and reaction rates in the aquifer beneath Pajarito Plateau, north-central New Mexico. Environmental Geology. v. 52, No. 5, p.965–977, DOI: 10.1007/s00254–006–0539–z.
- Duan, Z., Sun, R., and Liu, R., and Zhu, C., 2007. Accurate thermodynamic model for H2S solubility in pure water and brines. Energy and Fuels v. 21, 2056–2065.
- Hu, J, Duan, Z, Zhu, C., and Chou, I., PVTx properties of the CO2–H2O and CO2–H2O-NaCl systems below 647K: Assessment of experimental data and thermodynamic models. Chemical Geology v. 238, p.249–267.
- Ganor, J., Lu, P., Zheng, Z., and Zhu, C., 2007. Bridging the gap between laboratory measurements and field estimations of weathering using simple calculations. Environmental Geology. DOI 10.1007/s00254–007–0675–0.
- *Liu, F.Y., *Lu, P., Zhu, C., Xiao, Y., Coupled Reactive Transport Modeling of CO2 Sequestration in the Mt. Simon Sandstone Formation, Midwest U.S.A. Submitted to The International Journal of Green House Gas Control January 2010.
- *Lu, P., Zhu, C. Arsenic Eh-pH Diagrams at 25°C and 1 bar. Environmental Earth Sciences, Accepted.
Books and Book Chapters
- A laboratory manual for (my book) Environmental Applications of Geochemical Modeling published by Cambridge University Press.
- Zhu, C., Geochemical modeling of reaction paths and networks. Chapter 12 in Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Water-rock Interactions. E.H. Oelkers and J. Schott (eds), Review in Mineralogy and Geochemistry vol.70, pp. 533-569, June 2009.
- *Liu, F.Y., *Lu, P., Griffth, C., Hedges, S.W., Zhu, C., CO2–Caprock-brine interaction: Reactivity Experiments on Eau Claire Shale and a Review of literature. To be submitted to The International Journal of Green House Gas Control.
- Zhu, Lu, and others, Coupled Alkali feldspar dissolution and secondary mineral precipitation in batch systems: 2. Effects of CO2 and implications for carbon sequestration. To be submitted to Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta.
- *Lu, P., Zhu, C., Nuhfer, N. T., and Kelly, Pb2+ coprecipitation with iron oxyhydroxide nano-particles. To be submitted to Journal of Colloids Sciences and Interfaces.
- McKnight-Whitford, A., Chen, B., Naranmandura, H., Zhu, C. and Le, X.C., High concentrations of monomethylarsonous acid detected in contaminated groundwater. To be submitted to Environmental Sciences and Technology.