IN THIS SECTION
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Endowment Funds
The following accounts, listed chronologically, are held by the Indiana University Foundation on behalf of the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. These are endowments, meaning that the principal is not touched and only the annual interest generated is spendable.
All of the accounts are funded primarily through contributions from donors.
If you would like to donate to IU Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, click on "Give Now" to view the opportunities for supporting the Department, including the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship and the N. Gary Lane Paleontology Collection Fund.
1959 - Cumings-Malott Fund: Established in December, 1959, this fund was created as a memorial to Professors Edgar Roscoe Cumings and Clyde Arnett Malott. Robert R. Schrock (AB '25, AM '26, PhD '28) made the first contribution. Annual income from the fund is to be distributed by the chair and his/her departmental colleagues in any way appropriate to support and encourage superior work by staff and students in the geological sciences. If income becomes large enough, a scholarship or fellowship should be made available to an outstanding student.
E.R. Cumings was a faculty member in the Department from 1898 to 1945, the longest tenure of any professor. He was Chair from 1902-1942.
Malott, a geomorphologist (AB '13, AM '15, PhD '19), taught from 1919 to 1947.
1960 - Charles Deiss Memorial Fund: Friends and associates of Dr. Deiss, the founder of the Field Station, established this fund in 1960, following his death in 1959. The purpose is to provide two summer tuition scholarships to the Field Station. The recipients are chosen by a Selection Committee of the Department of Geological Sciences. Portrait of Charles Deiss at right courtesy of Indiana Geological Survey. Deiss chaired the Department from 1945 to 1959 and established the Geologic Field Station in Montana.
1961 - Department General Fund: This fund was established November 24, 1961 by Bert L. Renzetti, Santiago, Chile, and a matching gift from the Cerro Exploration Company, Inc. Money in this fund is to be used by and for the Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University, at the discretion of the Chair of the Department. Bert Renzetti received his A.M. degree from the Department in 1952, and the PhD in 1957.
1966 - Excellence in Geology: Alumni of the Department were responsible for establishing this fund in November, 1966, following a mailing to the Department’s graduates. Its purpose is for undergraduate scholarships, graduate research support, and summer field training support. The program can be adjusted by the Chair and faculty to suit conditions of the coming years.
Arch McPheeters Loan Fund; This fund provides loans to students enrolled at IU as full-time students majoring in Geological Sciences. The maximum loan shall not at any time exceed $500.
1967 - William Post Rawles Fund; Katherine Rawles Nangle and Harriet Rawles Bradner, sisters of William P. Rawles, established this fund in October, 1967. The income generated by the principal is to be used to make awards to students enrolled full-time, majoring in geology. Two Outstanding Associate Instructor (A.I.) awards are made each year; one award is given to an A.I. teaching at the 100-200 level, and the second is given to an A.I. involved in upper level classes. Rawles was an early graduate of the Department (AB '22, AM '26), and a charter member of SGE when it began at IU in 1926.
1967 - Galloway/Perry/Horowitz Memorial Fund: Established initially as the J.J. Galloway Memorial Fund on December 15, 1967, this fund supports research and educational needs of graduate students in paleontology, stratigraphy, and paleoecology. The fund was extended to also honor Thomas Perry, and contributions in honor of N. Gary Lane upon his retirement were also directed to this fund. Expenses can include, but are not necessarily restricted to, transportation, subsistence (per diem), supplies and laboratory equipment. Monies from this fund could also support partial expenses connected with student participation in specialized assets of the academic program and expenses incurred during completion of research reports. In 2002, as a result of the donation of the Alan Horowitz estate to the Galloway-Perry Fund, the name was changed to the present title. Galloway received the first PhD granted by the Department (1913) and he taught at various levels in the Department from 1911-16 and 1932-54.Tom Perry was on the faculty from 1951-72, teaching paleontology.
1971 - Ralph E. Esarey Fund: This fund was established February 3, 1971, to honor Ralph Esarey. It supports research in Indiana from various geologic aspects: fuels, industrial minerals, environmental geology, stratigraphy and sedimentation.Ralph Esarey taught from 1925-66 and was State Geologist from 1936-45.
1971 - William Thornbury Fund: This fund was established July 1, 1971 by Professor Emeritus William D. Thornbury in consultation with Professor Warren G. Meinschein. Donations to the fund have principally come from Professor Thornbury and the Estate of William D. Thornbury and Doris G. Thornbury. It supports student research in physical geology with special reference to geomorphology and glacial geology projects. Expenses may include field research expenses, graduate student research assistantships and fellowships, if funds reach levels sufficient to support such stipends. The fund is not intended to be used for publishing expenses or travel expenses (except in direct relation to the research purposes indicated). Thornbury was on the faculty from 1929-35 and 1943-69, and authored the bible of geomophology, Principles of Geomorphology.
1977 - Edward J. Grassmann Fellowship: This fund was established in 1977 with a gift from the Union Foundation. Funds are used to fully support the Edward J. Grassmann Fellow in the Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University. Support and maintenance of the Grassmann Fellow includes full payment of student stipend, tuition, fees, supplies and expenses connected with the academic studies and research data collection for the PhD in Clay Mineralogy.
1984 - Judson Mead Field Station Fund: Then Chair Professor Haydn Murray requested the establishment of this fund in March, 1984, in honor of retiring Director of the Geologic Field Station in Montana, Professor Emeritus Judson Mead. Its purpose is to support students, faculty research at the Field Station, travel expenses for students, visiting faculty and scientists, and for purchasing supplies and equipment as needed. Funds are generated by the interest from an endowed capital account. Monies are not intended to be used for operation of the Field Station (maintenance, etc.). The fund is administered by the Chair of the Department and the Director of the Geologic Field Station. Judson Mead was on the faculty from 1949-84, and was Director of the Geologic Field Station from 1960-81.
1986 - John B. Patton Fund: This fund was established to honor Professor Emeritus John Barratt Patton, former Chair of the Department and Director of the Indiana Geological Survey, on December 31, 1986. Its purpose shall be for the establishment, support and maintenance of awards to be known as "The John Barratt Patton Award." The awards shall be made by the Committee composed of the Chair of the Department and the Director of the Indiana Geological Survey. Expenditures are to promote research on the geology of the State of Indiana. Patton was a faculty member from 1949-86, including lengthy terms as Chair and State Geologist.
1989 - Geologic Field Station Maintenance Fund: G429 alumna Marcia (Engle) Moore was instrumental in establishing this fund and was its first contributor on June 28, 1989. The fund was established to provide long-term maintenance support for the Field Station. Gibson Consulting, through a matching program, doubles individual contributions to this account to an annual maximum of $5,000, through 2001. It is the Director's policy that most of the money in this fund is spent on visible improvements at the Field Station, such as replacing and refurbishing the tent cabins, and paneling the insides of the student dorms. This fund is administered by the Director of the Field Station.
1991 - Haydn Murray Applied Clay Mineralogy Chair: This fund was established in 1991 by Professor Haydn H. Murray with an initial gift from the E.J. Grassmann Trust. The goal is to accumulate sufficient funds to support a chair in the Department of Geological Sciences in order to continue the strong Applied Clay Mineralogy program presently in place at Indiana University. Dr. David Bish currently holds the Murray Chair.
1995 - Don Hattin Special Field-Course Fund: A special fund was established by Professor Emeritus Donald E. Hattin. Initial gifts to this fund were contributed by faculty, staff, friends, and alumni to honor Dr. Hattin at his retirement, June 30, 1995. Income from this fund is intended to support and maintain awards to assist full-time geology majors (undergraduate or graduate) at Indiana University in meeting the expenses related to their participation in special non-core geology field courses, such as the Regional Geology Field Trip, Geology of Tropical Marine Environments, and Natural History of Coral Reefs. Awardees will be identified by faculty member(s) offering the course(s) involved and authorized by the Department Chairperson.
1996 - Excellence in Geological Sciences Fund: Established in July 1996 at the request of the Department’s Advisory Board to facilitate the receipt and investment of contributed funds from the Department’s 5-year Endowment Campaign (1996-2000). The program, amounts, and recipients are determined by the Chair of the Department and a committee of at least two other faculty. It is the intent of the donors that the funds will be used to develop a first-class Department, including course development, equipment, undergraduate and graduate support, faculty and student travel, faculty and student summer support, seminars, lectures, research salaries, faculty and student recruitment, and establishment of endowed professorships and chairs.
1997 - Malcolm and Sylvia Boyce Chair: Established in February, 1997 by Advisory Board member Malcolm Boyce and his wife Sylvia for the purpose of receiving and investing contributed funds, this endowment reflects their commitment to directly support their "Excellence in Geosciences" initiative and to benefit the Department. Income from the endowed gift is allocated to strategic programs in the Department’s academic plan, consistent with the guidelines for endowed professorships and chairs. Expenditures are authorized by the Chair of the Department for the reasonable and customary requirements of a named faculty position in accordance with internal operating policies. It is the intent of the donors that the Professorship support and attract outstanding faculty and clearly superior post-doctoral fellows and graduate students. Malcolm Boyce received his Master’s degree from IU in 1956, and was Vice President of Chevron International Oil Co.
1999 - Robert R. Shrock Professorship: In April 1999, a professorship in sedimentary geology was established in honor of Robert R. Shrock. Income generated by the endowment will be used to supplement salary and provide program support including travel, library and equipment acquisitions, and other requirements of an active scholar. Any remaining funds can be used to support post-doctoral or graduate students. Expenditures will be authorized by the Chair of the Department for reasonable and customary requirements of a named faculty position in accordance with internal operating policies. Shrock (AB ’25, AM ’26, PhD ’28) was a long-time supporter of the IU Geology Department, and was Chair of MIT’s geology department for many years.
1999 - Judson Mead Professorship in Geophysics: Established in January, 1999, it is the intent of the donors that the Judson Mead Professorship in Geophysics be someone whose credentials in both teaching and research are at the highest level, who is involved in the study, teaching, and research of applied and exploration geophysics and who recognizes the significance of modern reflection seismology and other state-of-the-art geophysical technologies and their applications. Income generated from this gift may be used for salary support for the designated holder of the professorship, support for research, manuscript preparation, post-doctoral or graduate research assistance, library and equipment acquisitions and other requirements of an active scholar and teacher.
1999 - Cumings-Malott Scholarship: In November 1999 Winnora Gretchen Allen designated one-half of her estate to be used for the purpose of establishing the Cumings-Malott Scholarship. This gift is to be used to support undergraduate and graduate scholarships in the Department and it is intended that both income and principal be used.
2000 - Geological Sciences Library Fund: Established in January 2000, it is the intent of the donors that these gifts be used for general support of the Geological Sciences Library. All expenditures must be jointly approved by the Department Chair and the designated Librarian for the geological collections.
2000 - Harold Kaska Geology Library Endowment: Established in March, 2000, through a gift from Harold V. Kaska to be used for expanding the paleontological or paleontology-related literature of the geological sciences library. Funds may also be used for publications and electronic products. The donor intends the original gift to exist in perpetuity with the income being used to support the purposes of the gift. Harold Kaska (M.S. ’52) worked with J.J. Galloway, and spent his career as a paleontologist with Chevron.
2000 - Daniel S. Tudor Commemorative Lecture Fund: This fund was established in December 2000, by Judson and Jane Mead in honor of Daniel S. Tudor for his friendship, leadership, and lifelong support of the Department. This gift is to be used to support an annual lecture in applied geophysics given by a visiting scientist or scholar who will spend time on campus engaging students and faculty in scholarly activities. Dan Tudor (B.A., M.S., Ph.D.) was with Chevron from 1971-93, retiring as President of Chevron Geosciences.
2000 - Daniel S. Tudor Fellowship: Funded by Judson and Jane Mead in December 2000, this gift is in honor of Daniel S. Tudor. The donors intend the gift to be used to support fellowships in geophysics or a closely allied field. It can also be used to attract outstanding graduate students, or for graduate students continuing in the department, or as a dissertation-year fellowship.
Margaret C. and Anne Marie Kuzmitz Scholarship/Fellowship: Anne Marie Kuzmitz has irrevocably given to the Department a gift to be used to support scholarships and fellowships for undergraduate and graduate students in need of financial assistance who are pursuing a degree in Geological Science. Preference will be given to a female student. The number, amount, and recipients will be determined by the scholarship committee of the Department. Margaret Clare Kuzmitz received her B.A. from the Department in 1938.
2001 - Charles J. Vitaliano Grant-in-Aid: Established in March 2001, in honor of Charles J. Vitaliano for his many years of dedicated teaching, research and service in the Department of Geological Sciences, and to recognize the important contributions he made to the creation of the teaching and research program at the Judson Mead Geologic Field Station of Indiana University. This gift is to be used to support a grant-in-aid for student research on the geology and geophysics of western Montana and adjacent areas. Preference will be given to students who will reside, in part, at the Station, where they will be provided free room and board. Charles Vitaliano taught in the Department from 1948-1980, and was the first instructor at the Field Station in Montana in 1949. He died in 2000.
2002 - Kauffman Paleobiology Fund: In recognition of Dr. Erle Kauffman's contributions to paleobiology and stratigraphy, this fund was established upon his retirement in 2002 to provide a special source of support for graduate students. The use of funds will be for outstanding graduate students for field and/or museum support.
2002 - Patton Visiting Professor for Industrial Minerals: In honor of Dr. John B. Patton, the fund was established in 2002 to support a visiting professor in industrial minerals. It may include, but is not limited to, salary or salary supplement, support for research, manuscript preparation, graduate research assistance, library and equipment acquisitions and other requirements for an active scholar and teacher.
2014 - Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship: This fellowship was established to support graduate fellowships for students who are pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. in Geological Sciences and need an additional semester of support to finish writing their thesis or dissertation.
2016 - N. Gary Lane Paleontology Collection Fund: The N. Gary Lane Paleontology Collection Fund supports the infrastructure, curation, and staffing of the IU Paleontology Collection. Launched in 2016 to celebrate the reopening of the Collection after a seven year revitalization program, this fund is named after the late Gary Lane (1930-2006), who was an internationally recognized paleontological research and long-time member of IU’s faculty.
Gary recognized the fundamental importance of a permanent repository for paleontological speciemens to meet IU’s research needs professional and regulatory requirements of scientific publishers, grant agencies, and research permitters. The fund supports ongoing costs of housing and curating our material, as well as digitizing it to make it accessible to researchers around the world and to the public.
Our target is $1 million to support the salaries and activities of a full time collection manager and to meet costs for cabinetry, renovation, and materials. Please consider giving.
Albert J. Rudman Geophysics Fund: In honor of Professor Albert Rudman, this fund provides assistance to the geophysics group; may include but not be limited to scholarships, student support, faculty support, research, and the acquisition of equipment.
John and Mary Droste Fund: This fund honors Professor John Droste. The proceeds provide for award(s) to recognize one or more outstanding teaching assistants or associate instructors or individuals performing those functions.
Bill and Jan Cordua Scholarship: Provides scholarships of at least $500 to junior or senior students majoring in geological sciences with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Bill Cordua received the PhD from the Department in 1973.
Maynard and Winifred Coller Scholarship: This is a legacy scholarship donated by Maynard and Winifred Coller. Maynard, a former employee of Indiana University in the Department of Geological Sciences, set up the award to honor a Junior or Senior undergraduate student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Monetary award credited to a University Account.