TEACHING & RESEARCH
Organic Geochemistry and Chemical Oceanography
Office: GY 321
- Ph.D., 1985, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Diplom-Chemiker, 1979, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany
- Research on shale gas funded by the Department of Energy.
- Stable isotopes in fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) reveal how original biological material, heat and time affected the chemical composition of sedimentary organic matter.
- Paleoclimatology of laminated sediments from the Santa Barbara Basin off California and in Vietnamese maars.
- Radon isotopes in soil-built dwellings in developing countries.
- Subterranean methanotrophic consumption of atmospheric methane.
- Development of organic hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen stable isotope reference materials.
Graduate Student Projects
- Patrick Griffin Ph.D. Stable isotope ratios in protein and amino acids
Click on link for a comprehensive list of publications (excluding abstracts).
- Shale gas: Geochemical and physical constraints on genesis, storage, and producibility. (U.S. Department of Energy, Basic Energy Sciences)
- Indiana Zinc is distributed worldwide for the reduction of water to elemental hydrogen, for off-line determination of the D/H stable isotope ratio. Technical and logistic details are available here.
- Stable Isotope Reference Materials for organic hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen are available for on-line and off-line operations. For details see this page or email Arndt Schimmelmann.